In a recent interview with Delish.com, former NFL football quarterback and current sports anchor, Tim Tebow shared the details of his daily ketogenic diet, which means he eats a lot of healthy fats, moderate protein, very few carbs, and almost no sugar.
Here’s a glimpse at what a typical day’s diet looks like for Tebow:
- His Version Of Fatty Coffee: He mixes half-regular, half-decaf coffee (“I don’t want that much caffeine,” he says), before stirring in a little organic heavy whipping cream, a sliver of Kerrygold butter, a little unsweetened almond milk, and 2-3 drops of liquid Stevia, English Toffee flavor. It tastes, as he describes it, “a little like a milkshake.“
- Breakfast: Eggs. “I have eggs in some form, whether it’s an omelette with spinach, ham, bacon, and sausage all in there, or a scramble with avocado.“
- Lunch & Dinner: Sparkling water (specifically La Croix, if he can get his hands on a can) and plain Greek yogurt are must-haves throughout the day. Beyond that, Tebow sticks to lean meats like chicken, steak, and salmon, often pairing them with asparagus, spinach, or avocado. And guacamole: “Love it.”
Forget Counting Calories.
Like most people following a ketogenic diet know, counting calories is not the path to health, wellness, and weight loss. And Tebow believes just the same.
“I usually eat until I’m full,” he says. “I mean, you don’t want to overdo it, but I think eating the right things is more important than portion control. If I’m eating the right things, they’re going to fill me up with the right amount of fat and protein.”
What he is more concerned about, rightly, is the amount of sugar found in most foods – something he became passionate about while he served on the Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness as a student at the University of Florida.
“So many things are full of sugar, carbohydrates, and things that will spike our insulin, which causes people to crash afterwards and store more fat,” he says.
This was original content we wrote about in 2015 when Tim first started sharing publicly about following the protocols of a ketogenic diet. Read on for updates and new info as time has gone on…
*Update (Dec 16, 2016):
Tim Tebow is in the spotlight again, advocating for the ketogenic diet, as he was a guest on the Dr. Oz show. He and Dr. Oz discussed quite briefly (limited by television air time) the benefits of a ketogenic diet, what constitutes being on the keto diet, and his favorite drink (Bulletproof coffee, or butter coffee).
He talks about the basics of being on a ketogenic diet, such as getting your daily calorie consumption from 5% or less carbohydrates, 20% or so protein, and 75% fat. If you want more in-depth information on all of this, check out our Learn Keto page here on Keto Korner.
You can a see sneak peek of the Dr. Oz episode featuring Tim Tebow here.
*Update (Jan 1, 2020):
In October of 2019, Tebow partnered up with KetoLogic, a rapidly growing company supporting the ketogenic lifestyle. He said he shares the company’s mission to make the keto diet easier to follow and more accessible and convenient for everyone with the KETO 30 Challenge.
A press release from KetoLogic said that, as a part of this partnership, Tim Tebow is going to appear in the company’s national television campaign and participate in their social media presence. Likewise, KetoLogic is going to work with the Tim Tebow Foundation to support its philanthropic initiatives. Tebow said, “I’ve been on the keto diet for eight years and am excited about this partnership with Disruptive Enterprises because their mission and products align with my approach to diet and exercise.”
He went on to say that through his own personal experience, KetoLogic products are delicious and provide the fuel his highly active lifestyle demands.
Tips Learned from the Tim Tebow Keto Diet
In an October blog post on KetoLogic’s website, Tim Tebow shared some tips and insight he learned from following the ketogenic diet since 2011.
He said he’s learned to main things:
- The ketogenic diet not only supports weight loss, but can also improve hormonal balance, manage chronic conditions, and improve both mental and physical performance.
- Keto seems complicated at first to many people, but if followed with discipline, offers a rewarding lifestyle and keeps you feeling satisfied.
Tebow says he’s seen that people who end up succeeding with following the keto diet have one particular thing in common: they plan.
- They plan for common pitfalls like the “keto flu” and how they will manage them to keep from falling off the wagon, so to speak.
- They plan in advance before going out to eat, finding options on the restaurant menus that will be keto-friendly.
- They also plan their meals ahead of time to help them stay on track.
The Tim Tebow Keto Diet Meal Plan
You can see sample 7-Day Tim Tebow Keto Meal Plan here, where he walks through everything he would prepare, cook, and eat in an example 7 day stretch, including recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, and snacks.
Here at Keto Korner, we strive to provide the best, most accurate, and most current information on the keto diet, and everything relevant and related to it, and our hope is to create a portal to all things keto that you can trust and rely on. We are not partnered with or representatives of KetoLogic or Tim Tebow.
In general, it’s our personal opinion eating whole, clean foods and having positive daily habits around eating and exercise, are all you need to live a ketogenic lifestyle. But we do think KetoLogic offers great products that can supplement your diet, boost your ketones, and make the process easier of transitioning into a state of ketosis and reaching your ideal weight, eventually getting to that maintenance phase.
We highly recommend you check out what they have to offer, and if you purchase anything from them through our link we will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. That’s what helps keep the lights on here, so we can keep providing great Keto Kontent to you!
KetoLogic Price: Varies The ketogenic lifestyle shouldn't be complicated. Jumpstart your weight loss efforts or break through a plateau with the KetoLogic KETO 30 Challenge Bundle. It's designed to be easy to follow and keep on track.